Dry skin can be irritating. The American Academy of Dermatology points out that dry skin can itch, flake, and even bleed. The stretchy skin also boasts an increased likelihood of developing wrinkles and fine lines. There can be several reasons for such a skin. Some factors that can be held accountable are environmental changes, excessive exposure to the sun, stress, hereditary factors, and less sebum production. The first step that lies squarely on your shoulder is to care for your skin by incorporating beauty tips for dry skin in your daily routine.
These tips help improve your skin’s dry state. It is only when they fail to do so that you’ll need to report to a dermatologist and get adequate treatment. Some of the best daily care tips to practice for dry skin are:
1. Limit your shower time and baths
The first step to care for a dry skin entails cutting down the long baths and showers. You need to make sure that you:
· Limit showers to 10-15 minutes
· Use warm water instead of hot water
· Use a fragrance-free, mild cleanser
· Gently pat your skin dry
· Apply moisturizer immediately after a bath or shower
2. Face washing tips
You do not need to wash your face multiple times in a day if you have a dry skin. In the case of a dry skin, your skin fails to retain enough moisturize, which is why it appears wrinkled up and cracked. By washing your face often, you will rid the skin of the little remaining moisture that softens skin and encourage it to become drier. Thus, you should try to:
· Use a gentle face wash
· Wash your face for no more than two times a day (since your skin is dry, you wouldn’t need to worry about washing it often)
· Gently dry your skin with a towel, do not rub
· Do not work the cleaners into a thick lather, apply a small amount that is enough to remove dirt and oil.
3. Apply moisturizer
A moisturizer is a must if your skin is dry. It helps retain the needed moisture in your skin so you need to keep it on. Find the best moisturizer that suits your skin the best. If there is anything that needs your attention and investment, it’s your moisturizer. Therefore, get a good one and use it.
· Apply it after a shower or a bath when your skin’s pores are open and lock the moisturizer
· Apply after washing your hands or face
4. Get the correct facial products
Getting facial products that suit your skin is an all-important step in daily skin care. This applies to all the folks with varying skin types including the ones with oily or combination skin. For dry skin, the key tip is to avoid facial toners and soaps that contain alcohol. It may dissolve the natural oils from your skin. Hence, choose your soaps, cleaners, and lotions well.
Another pro tip to bear in mind is that, as a rule of thumbs, liquid facewashes are preferable over soaps. Soaps are known for being harsh and drying the skin unless it is a soap that is specifically formulated for dry skin such soaps from Dove. The chief factors to keep in mind are:
· Avoid toners and soaps that contain alcohol as it may dissolve your skin’s natural oils
· Cleanse your skin with gently, for instance, with a lipid balancing cleansing milk
· Avoid deodorant soaps
· Refrain from skincare products that contain alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA), fragrance, alcohol or retinoid
5. Take care of yourself
Looking after yourself is a good measure for dry skin. Your healthier and stress-free version corresponds to a healthy skin. For example, stress contributes to dry skin greatly. Thus, by combatting stress, you will be able to get rid of the core cause of dryness. Some of the measures that you can pursue are:
· Drink water. You should consume between 1.3-1.5 liters daily to treat your skin with some water refreshment. This tip stands true in both winters and summers because in the former we tend to ignore hydration altogether and in the latter, we sweat a lot
· Maintain a healthy diet that exhibits a wide range of nutrients, vitamins, and fatty acids. A lack of these can culminate in dry skin
· Include antioxidants in your diet that assist in reducing damage due to toxins. Good sources of these are tomatoes, carrots, blueberries, lentils, peas, and beans
· Treat your skin and yourself to relaxation to become stress-free
· Try out a feel-good program that makes your feel instantly better. A quick spa session or a full body massage can be helpful
6. Give preference to creams and ointments over lotions
Creams and ointments tend to be less irritating and more efficient than lotions. Therefore, pick these up. Try to find creams and ointments that are packed with ingredients that help to soothe dry skin.
· Look for creams that contain shea butter, jojoba oil or olive oil
· Try to find creams and ointments that include hyaluronic acid, mineral oil, lactic acid, petrolatum, lanolin, glycerin, and dimethicone
7. Take some fish oil pills
To nourish your skin properly, try to include supplements in your diet as well. Fish oil supplements are known for better skin. Studies point out that fish oils like Cod liver oil can help soothe dry skin due to its high content of omega-3 fatty acids.
8. Take care of your hands and feet
Caring for dry skin is not complete until you take the necessary steps for caring for your hands, feet, and lips too. In this regard:
Care for your lips:
· Use lips balms or Vaseline to keep your lips from drying or cracking
· If a lip balm stings, switch it for another one that does not cause such a reaction
Care for your hands and feet
· Wear gloves when you go outdoors in winters or for activities that require you to get your hands wet
· Use a non-irritating laundry detergent as it can be irritating to your skin. Pick a detergent which is tagged ‘hypoallergenic’
· Moisturize your hands and feet
9. Try natural ingredients
You can also dry natural remedies as part of care tips for dry skin. Aloe Vera and honey are two key natural ingredients that are gentle with a dry skin. You can also add argan oil, jojoba oil, and burdock fruit extract in your natural skin care regimen. Two homemade masks are:
· Mix a spoon of whisked cream and one spoon of honey with aloe vera pulp. Mix them thoroughly and apply it on your face for 15 minutes. As part of the drill, wash off the concoction from your skin with clean water later on
· Scrub a tablespoon of papaya pulp and apply on your skin for some time. Rinse it off with water
You can also try an oatmeal bath. It is a time-tested remedy for a dry and itchy skin. Science further confirms that the natural remedy works wonders for your skin. A study shows that colloidal oatmeal is packed with anti-inflammatory characteristics and antioxidants. These relieve itching and irritation.
Wrap up message
By incorporating these care tips for dry skin in your diet, you will be able to care for your irritated skin better and prevent it from cracking or flaking. If these tips do not soothe your skin, know that it is your cue to head to the dermatologist.